The history of Wroclaw Medical University dates back to 1811, when the Prussian king Frederik Wilhelm II ordered to relocate the Viadrina University in Frankfurt to Wroclaw. Its new rector, professor and doctor Karl August Wilhelm Bereds, was also named the first Dean of the Medical Faculty on the University of Wroclaw. The faculty had five cathedrals: anatomy, physiology, internal medicine, obstetrics and surgery. Thanks to the quality of didactics and its renowned professors, the Medical Faculty of The University Of Wroclaw quickly established itself as a renowned European medical school.
During World War II Wroclaw suffered severe damages - 75% of the city was destroyed. Amongst the remaining buildings were the university clinical buildings near the Odra river, which later became the Wroclaw Medical Universities campus. The new Medical Faculty of the joint University of Wroclaw and Wroclaw Technical University was brought to life in 1945 and professor Ludwik Hirszfeld became its first dean. In 1949 the Medical Faculty gained independence from other Universities and became the Wroclaw Medical Academy, which at first offered studies at the Faculty of Medicine with the Stomatology and Pharmacy divisions (in 1950 the Pharmacy Division became the Faculty of Pharmacy) and the Physical Education Study. The first rector of the Academy was prof. Sigmund Albert and prof. Tadeusz Marciniak became the first dean of the Medical Faculty.
1961 – the first honorary doctorate after WWII was given
1963/1964 - the duration of the study on the Medical Faculty was extended from 5 to 6 years
1978 – the Faculty of Nursing was constituted
1989 – Wroclaw Medical Academy was given the name of Silesian Piasts
1992 – the Faculty of Postgraduate Medical training was constituted
2000 – the Stomatology Division of the Medical Faculty became the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
2001 – the Faculty of Nursing became the Public Health Faculty
2003 - the English Division studies were brought to life, enabling students from all over the world to study medicine and dentistry in English on the Wroclaw Medical Academy
2012 – the name of Wroclaw Medical Academy was officially changed to Wroclaw Medical University
2015 (September) – opening of the supra-regional Centre for Pediatric Oncology “Cape of Hope”
2015 (October) – opening of the Scientific Medical Information Centre